Do you often find yourself asking God to show you a sign when seeking help? Many of us do. However, some are looking for a huge sign, such as the clouds parting so that a bright light can beam down upon them filled with heavenly music and a deep voice that speaks directly to them. Many fill their daily thoughts with worry that clutters the mind and others do not sit still long enough to actually receive the sign when God presents it. When you ask God to show you a sign, here’s what you need to know:
1. Understand that the sign will most likely present itself in a subtle form, such as an idea, a feeling, a dream, or a conversation. It may come through a radio or television program, from church service, reading the Bible, newspaper, magazine, or listening to an audiobook.
2. So when you ask for a sign, you must practice mindfulness by being aware of your every thought and interactions with others. Start paying attention to thoughts that pass through your mind throughout each moment of the day, especially when you are not heavily focused on a work task. Even when you think you are not thinking; thoughts are being processed on a subconscious level, so start paying attention to them. Start asking yourself questions like; “what was I just thinking?” and force yourself to try and remember. You will be amazed at what you uncover with constant practice.
3. Learn to trust your gut or intuition. If something makes you feel uneasy, don’t second guess that feeling. I’m talking about any uneasiness associated with feeling that someone or something isn’t quite right. Uneasy feelings that constantly nag at you and won’t go away. However, understand that if you are embarking on anything new, expect that nervous feelings will surface, but these feelings are normal when we step out of our comfort zone. Pay special attention to what excites you, gives you energy, makes you feel enthusiastic and passionate. Focus on these, especially the recurring ones.
4. Start paying attention to ideas, feelings and desires that seem to resurface time and time again. You will find that some of these have been recurring since childhood, but you never acted on them. Perhaps, now is the time.
5. Begin paying close attention to the encounters or situations you call “coincidences.” Stop believing in coincidences and start believing that everything happens for a reason. Dig deeper to find out what is really there.
6. Ask if what you’re seeking is already under your nose, but you have yet to identify it as such. Perhaps, God has already placed a person in your life to help you in that special area, but you are not interacting with them in the manner intended. Pay attention to some of your most comfortable relationships and new encounters and ask whether the answer lies within any of them. If so, start the conversation, ask for what you want, and see where it leads.
7. Get out of the house or office so you can have the opportunity to meet new people who are out there waiting to help you. Just show up; no telling who you may meet along the way.
8. Remain prayerful, stay positive, have faith, show gratitude, help others in ways that you are able, and believe that what you are seeking will be revealed to you. If you are having difficulty receiving the sign, then ask for greater clarity. Before going to bed at night, pray that it will be revealed in a dream and ask that you remember the dream upon awakening. Write down what you remember.
9. When you receive the sign; take action immediately! Write down the ideas that come to mind or record them on your mobile device.
10. Take quiet time each day to pray and meditate on what is being revealed to you. Focus on each one to see how they make you feel. When you think you’ve found the correct sign or answer, try to identify the first step and take it. This is when and where changes in your life will begin to occur.
11. Keep in mind that sometimes the answer lies in doing something you may not want to do, but it is the right thing to do. Always choose to do what’s right.
12. Continually seek guidance regarding the steps you should take each moment of the day.
What are you expecting when you ask God for help and to show you a sign? Let me leave you with a very familiar parable of:
“The Drowning Man”
A man was stranded on his rooftop in a flood. He was praying to God for help.
Soon a man in a rowboat came by and the fellow shouted to the man on the roof, “jump in, I can save you.”
The stranded man shouted back, “No, it is okay, I’m praying to God and he is going to save me.”
So the rowboat went on.
Then a motorboat came by and the guy in the motorboat shouted, “jump in, I can save you.”
The stranded man shouted back, “No thanks, I’m praying to God and he is going to save me. I have faith.”
So the motorboat went on.
Then a helicopter came by and the pilot shouted, “grab this rope and I will lift you to safety.”
The stranded man shouted back, “No thanks, I am praying to God and he is going to save me. I have faith.”
So the helicopter reluctantly flew away.
Soon the water rose above the rooftop and the man drowned. He went to Heaven. He finally got his chance to discuss this situation with God and stated, “I had faith in you but you didn’t save me, you let me drown. I don’t understand why!”
To this God replied, “I sent you a rowboat and a motorboat and a helicopter, what more did you expect?”